Diamond wedding thrill for Sidmouth couple
AN anniversary card from the Queen was the icing on the cake for a Sidmouth couple, who celebrated 60 years of marriage last month. John and Lois Pickering, of Roselands, were surrounded by family members as they celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversa
AN anniversary card from the Queen was the icing on the cake for a Sidmouth couple, who celebrated 60 years of marriage last month.
John and Lois Pickering, of Roselands, were surrounded by family members as they celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary on June 18.
The couple enjoyed a cream tea at the Belmont Hotel with nearly 30 members of their family, including eight of their ten grandchildren.
Lois, 83, said: "It was delightful. Our family organised it and it was quite a surprise-we were very touched."
You may also want to watch:
John, 87, and Lois married at St Saviour's Church in Westcliff-on-sea in Essex in 1949.
They set up home in Brooklands Park, Hertfordshire, where they brought up their three sons.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 5 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 6 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
The couple moved to West Hill after taking early retirement and moved to Sidmouth eight years ago.
John and Lois have been very involved in community life and were the founding members of West Hill Short Mat Bowls Club.
They are also members of the Sid Vale Association, Sidmouth Victoria Hospital Comforts Fund and the Royal British Legion, among others.
Lois added: "My husband always says the more you put into life the more you get out of it!"
The anniversary card from the Queen is now pride of place on John and Lois' fireplace.