Diamond wedding thrill for Sidmouth couple
AN anniversary card from the Queen was the icing on the cake for a Sidmouth couple, who celebrated 60 years of marriage last month. John and Lois Pickering, of Roselands, were surrounded by family members as they celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversa
AN anniversary card from the Queen was the icing on the cake for a Sidmouth couple, who celebrated 60 years of marriage last month.
John and Lois Pickering, of Roselands, were surrounded by family members as they celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary on June 18.
The couple enjoyed a cream tea at the Belmont Hotel with nearly 30 members of their family, including eight of their ten grandchildren.
Lois, 83, said: "It was delightful. Our family organised it and it was quite a surprise-we were very touched."
You may also want to watch:
John, 87, and Lois married at St Saviour's Church in Westcliff-on-sea in Essex in 1949.
They set up home in Brooklands Park, Hertfordshire, where they brought up their three sons.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 5 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 6 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 9 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 10 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
The couple moved to West Hill after taking early retirement and moved to Sidmouth eight years ago.
John and Lois have been very involved in community life and were the founding members of West Hill Short Mat Bowls Club.
They are also members of the Sid Vale Association, Sidmouth Victoria Hospital Comforts Fund and the Royal British Legion, among others.
Lois added: "My husband always says the more you put into life the more you get out of it!"
The anniversary card from the Queen is now pride of place on John and Lois' fireplace.