Digital aerial scam warning
SIDMOUTH residents are being warned to be on their guard against doorstep salesmen insisting they need a new TV aerial for the digital switchover. Devon County Council Trading Standards
SIDMOUTH residents are being warned to be on their guard against doorstep salesmen insisting they need a new TV aerial for the digital switchover.
Devon County Council Trading Standards officers are warning of the risk of less reputable traders cold-calling the elderly and vulnerable who claim their existing aerial will not receive a digital signal and urge them to pay for a replacement. Councillor Des Hannon said: "There is no such thing as a digital aerial - as long as it is in good condition your current aerial should be able to receive the much stronger digital signal after the switchover."
He added some households will need an upgrade but he advised to buy the aerial from a reputable retailer.
An aerial test on Teletext page 284 will help viewers to determine whether their aerial will receive a digital signal.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who is concerned about bogus trade people should contact Trading Standards on (01392) 381381.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight