Digital aerial scam warning
SIDMOUTH residents are being warned to be on their guard against doorstep salesmen insisting they need a new TV aerial for the digital switchover. Devon County Council Trading Standards
SIDMOUTH residents are being warned to be on their guard against doorstep salesmen insisting they need a new TV aerial for the digital switchover.
Devon County Council Trading Standards officers are warning of the risk of less reputable traders cold-calling the elderly and vulnerable who claim their existing aerial will not receive a digital signal and urge them to pay for a replacement. Councillor Des Hannon said: "There is no such thing as a digital aerial - as long as it is in good condition your current aerial should be able to receive the much stronger digital signal after the switchover."
He added some households will need an upgrade but he advised to buy the aerial from a reputable retailer.
An aerial test on Teletext page 284 will help viewers to determine whether their aerial will receive a digital signal.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who is concerned about bogus trade people should contact Trading Standards on (01392) 381381.
- 1 The strangest possible score in rugby
- 2 Be prepared! Plan for uncertain months ahead
- 3 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 4 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
- 5 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 6 Tories' approach to councillor checks could fuel hysteria
- 7 Sidmouth’s Antony Hall secures 2nd with 7+ hours of running
- 8 Archbishop of Canterbury to join Patteson celebrations
- 9 Stay positive and hope staycations are here to stay
- 10 So much to enjoy on our doorstep... despite the crowds