Diocese cash boosts Sid Valley Mission Community
ANGLICAN churches in Sidmouth have been handed a �3,500 boost in their bid to reach out to young people.
The Sid Valley Mission Community was awarded the bumper sum, to equip its youth ministry, as part of a Diocese of Exeter giveaway.
The diocese had been identified as one of a few in the country which has seen its number of worshippers increase.
It released �1million from reserves earlier this year to help churches build on their good work and reach-out across communities.
The Reverend David James, of the Sid Valley Mission Community, told the Herald: “We got �3,500 from the Million for Mission Fund administered by the Diocese of Exeter to fund projects in parishes which will promote the outreach of the church into the community and build it up.
You may also want to watch:
“This was for the start-up funds for our youth worker, Kate Hamilton, who is working with all the Anglican churches in Sidmouth to enable our work with children and young people to grow.”
The Reverend Michael Langrish, Bishop of Exeter, said: “Both the grant panel and I were absolutely delighted at the response to this fund. Wee received some �2.7million worth of requests for the first round of grants, many of which were highly imaginative and mission oriented.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
“This did mean careful consideration was given to every application to ensure that projects most closely meeting the criteria for which the fund was set up were supported.”