Discover the glorious countryside with the Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival
- Credit: Archant
Your chance to get out and about to explore the area with plenty of walks to choose from.
Sidmouth has some wonderful scenic walking both coastal and inland and organisers of the Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival are aiming to help people to explore.
The event offers a week of free guided walks, which will allow those taking part to discover the wonderful scenic coastal walking of Sidmouth and the hidden gems of East Devon.
Each day, there are a variety of walks to choose from, such as special interest walk, led by an expert, circular walks, which take in different areas of the coast and inland routes, and excursions along the East Devon Way.
In the case of the East Devon Way, which runs for about 40 miles, there will be coach transport, for which there will be a charge, to take those taking part to the start and collect them from the finish for the five daily walks.
You may also want to watch:
The route is mainly inland from Lyme Regis to Exmouth and takes walkers through the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
For the hardy walker there will be the opportunity to walk the new 13-mile Sid Valley Ring and three walks will follow the South West Coast Path from Exmouth to Lyme Regis, along the world renowned Jurassic Coast.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Among the specialist walks that have been lined up are Wartime on Woodbury Common, the sidmouth Blue Plaque Walk, a wildlife walk on Aylesbeare Common, on e about the geology of the Jurassic Coast and a Colyton history walk.
The Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival was started in 2014 but it took a few years before it became established in the calendar and grown to be the bigger event that it is today.
This year's festival begins with a launch event, which will take place from 1pm to 4pm, at Kennaway House, in Coburg Road, Sidmouth.
Those attending will get the chance to meet to guides for the walks and find out about what is on offer for the seven-day festival.
The event runs from Saturday, September 21st to Friday, September 27 and all walks are free of charge but limited and must be booked in advance through the Sidmouth Tourist Information on 01395 516441. Coach transfers are £6 payable in advance, payment details from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information is also available on Sidmouth Walking Festival Facebook page and East Devon AONB.
To read more features from East Devon Resident, click here.