Discover the glorious countryside with the Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival
- Credit: Archant
Your chance to get out and about to explore the area with plenty of walks to choose from.
Sidmouth has some wonderful scenic walking both coastal and inland and organisers of the Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival are aiming to help people to explore.
The event offers a week of free guided walks, which will allow those taking part to discover the wonderful scenic coastal walking of Sidmouth and the hidden gems of East Devon.
Each day, there are a variety of walks to choose from, such as special interest walk, led by an expert, circular walks, which take in different areas of the coast and inland routes, and excursions along the East Devon Way.
In the case of the East Devon Way, which runs for about 40 miles, there will be coach transport, for which there will be a charge, to take those taking part to the start and collect them from the finish for the five daily walks.
You may also want to watch:
The route is mainly inland from Lyme Regis to Exmouth and takes walkers through the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
For the hardy walker there will be the opportunity to walk the new 13-mile Sid Valley Ring and three walks will follow the South West Coast Path from Exmouth to Lyme Regis, along the world renowned Jurassic Coast.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 5 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Among the specialist walks that have been lined up are Wartime on Woodbury Common, the sidmouth Blue Plaque Walk, a wildlife walk on Aylesbeare Common, on e about the geology of the Jurassic Coast and a Colyton history walk.
The Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival was started in 2014 but it took a few years before it became established in the calendar and grown to be the bigger event that it is today.
This year's festival begins with a launch event, which will take place from 1pm to 4pm, at Kennaway House, in Coburg Road, Sidmouth.
Those attending will get the chance to meet to guides for the walks and find out about what is on offer for the seven-day festival.
The event runs from Saturday, September 21st to Friday, September 27 and all walks are free of charge but limited and must be booked in advance through the Sidmouth Tourist Information on 01395 516441. Coach transfers are £6 payable in advance, payment details from email@example.com.
Information is also available on Sidmouth Walking Festival Facebook page and East Devon AONB.
To read more features from East Devon Resident, click here.