Display pilot shares experience with cadets
- Credit: Archant
A former air cadet told young members from Sidmouth and Honiton squadrons how pursuing his dreams led to his most incredible year as the RAF’s Typhoon display pilot.
Flight Lieutenant Jonathan Dowen, a former member of 1064 Honiton Squadron, led a question and answer session about his career at a special meeting in Sidmouth last Thursday, October 29.
The pilot was the subject of a BBC Two documentary which aired on Sunday.
Flt Lt Dowen said: “If you want to go for it, put your heart it in and learn as much about the service you want to go into and what its ethos is.”
The 29-year-old loved flying from a young age and was given a sixth form scholarship by the RAF after completing his A-levels.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It’s about being in the right time, right place and putting yourself in the position to do it when the opportunity comes round.”
Sidmouth cadet Hamish Hunter, 16, said: “It was quite interesting to listen to. I definitely think he is a good role model.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 4 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 10 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
Flt Lt Dowen has teamed up with the Sid Valley Rotary Club for a series of events throughout the year.
Martin Saunders, president of the club, presented a cheque for £150 to Warrant Officer Tony Preston for the 2019 Sidmouth Squadron to spend on equipment.
Mr Saunders said: “We asked for your help for our summer fair and you responded. A team of you came at 7am to set up and at 4pm to put it away and we appreciated that contribution. I think Flt Lt Dowen would be proud; you are a credit to the Royal Air Force and we wanted to say thank-you.”