District candidates agree to protect Sid Valley AONB
Sid Vale Association seeks commitment from EDDC candidates to protect East Devon’s AONB from developers if elected
SIXTEEN candidates in the district council elections have made a commitment to protect East Devon’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty if elected.
Following an invitation to Sid Valley candidates and others near the AONB from Sid Vale Association last week, seeking their commitment to “uphold the conservation and preservation of the ED AONB, and defend it from housing estates within it,” vice-chairman Handel Bennett said 16 had agreed so far.
A non-political civic society, the SVA was prompted to send out the invitation after receiving information that surveyors acting on behalf of a national house builder were in fields stretching from Greenway Lane, Woolbrook, southwards, along the B3176 towards Bulverton.
“They said this was necessary work preparatory to applying for planning permission,” said SVA.
You may also want to watch:
“The area would accommodate hundreds of houses, and wipe out a very large area of countryside landscape to the west of Sidmouth.”
They asked candidates for a public commitment to protect the AONB from such development.
- 1 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 5 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 10 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
*Because of reporting restrictions on political issues prior to elections, no information of who has supported the invitation will be published until after election day – May 5.