Diviani lashes out at Tory Party
- Credit: Archant
East Devon’s top Tory launched a surprise attack on his party when he accused them of ‘reneging on their promises’ and ‘getting everything wrong’.
District council leader Paul Diviani said it would make no difference if the Labour Party ran the country instead of the Conservatives.
But he has clarified his comments, saying his objections were to the unexpected changes to the new homes bonus.
Councillor Diviani said his party had promised that the amount of money they would receive would not change and that councils would be free to spend it as they wished.
“We got up to the Local Government Association conference in Manchester and they said 40 per cent was being given to the LEP [local enterprise partnership],” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“It rather upset us – but it would be no different regardless of who is in charge.”
A Liberal Democrat councillor at last Wednesday’s full council meeting clarified that a coalition government runs the country, rather than the Conservative Party alone.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 After shopping in town why not give your feet a treat