Doctors reassure patients over strike

PUBLISHED: 09:00 15 June 2012

Archant

DOCTORS in Sidmouth have reassured patients the town’s GP practice will be totally unaffected by a day of strikes elsewhere in the country on June 21.

And the NHS Trust that manages Sidmouth Hospital says it has made contingency plans to minimise the impact of a planned national strike by the British Medical Association (BMA).

Dr Mike Slott, a practice partner at the Blackmore Drive facility, said it will be business as usual for the GPs serving the Sid Valley, who he confirmed will not be participating in the ‘day of action’ over planned pension reforms.

He said people had been worried about the possible impact of the protest but told the Herald: “Our service will be completely unaffected.”

A spokesman for the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust some non-urgent appointments could be postponed, but: “Doctors will continue to see patients who need emergency and urgent care.”

Kate Lyons, the Trust’s director of operations, said: “We have robust contingency plans in place, and have been working with local BMA representatives to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum for our patients.”

Any updates on the planned strike action will appear on the Trust’s website at www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald