Dog ban success at Sidmouth beach
EDDC reports dog owners heeding beach bans after stepping up summer patrols
DOG owners have heeded a campaign to ban pooches from East Devon beaches, including Sidmouth beach, this summer.
East Devon District Council’s environmental health officers and the dog warden service stepped up summer patrols to enforce the ban.
Both uniformed and plain clothed officers report that at beaches in Sidmouth, Beer, Seaton, Budleigh Salterton and Exmouth, most holiday-makers and residents are paying attention to the seasonal dog ban areas.
A few warnings have been handed out to dog walkers who had inadvertently strayed into banned areas, and only 10 fixed penalty notices have been served this summer – most for dog fouling offences.
You may also want to watch:
Restricted areas at each resort are clearly signed and any faded or damaged signs are being replaced as necessary.
An EDDC spokesman said: “We still have many areas where dogs are welcome and visitors who are unsure about where they may take their dogs onto the beach are strongly advised to check the signs or our website* before taking their dogs onto the beach. We are always happy to give advice to holiday-makers with dogs about the best areas to visit”.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
Regular patrols will continue throughout the year and residents are reminded that all year round it is an offence to fail to pick up after your dog.
To ensure you keep your dog from banned areas, go to www.eastdevon.gov.uk/dog ban area.