Dog dies after falling over cliff top near Budleigh Salterton
- Credit: Archant
A Jack Russell has died after falling over a cliff top near Budleigh Salterton.
Sidmouth Lifeboat was called out to Otterton Ledge yesterday (Thursday) at 5.30pm to assist with recovering the dog.
The crew worked with Exmouth and Beer Coastguards to use lines and an animal bag to bring the dog up from the base of the cliff.
An Exmouth Coastguard spokesman said: “The owners were very upset as the dog was relatively new to the family. The family and the deceased dog were then escorted back to their car at South Farm.”
Martin Freeland, station officer for Exmouth Coastguard, issued a safety warning, adding: “Know your dog and keep them on a lead near the cliffs.
You may also want to watch:
“Even the most well trained dogs will chase other animals near the cliff edge.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 7 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 10 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research