Dog rescue mum is found after appeal
- Credit: Archant
A PENSIONER’S search for a ‘selfless’ mum-of-two - who saved his dog from a raging River Sid - has ended in a heartfelt thank-you after she came forward.
Jessica Rainor, 28, rushed to the aid of Aubrey Bailey’s stricken pet Rocky in the Byes despite having her own dog and two children in a pushchair in tow. Aubrey, 88, launched an appeal to find her after he did not get the chance to express his gratitude at the time.
The Herald reported last week how a mystery woman – with a pushchair and her own dog - raced down a bank and pulled Rocky to safety after the collie was washed away by the torrent.
Hampshire resident Aubrey, who was visiting family in Sidmouth, was desperate to track her down as she vanished after the incident.
Full-time mum Jessica – who had been out for a walk with children India, 10 months, and Zachary, two, and pet Dude to get out of the house on December 23 – contacted Aubrey this week.
You may also want to watch:
“I was just doing what any decent human being would in that situation,” said the Manstone Avenue resident.
“My ethos is to teach my kids to treat people how you would like to be treated.”
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 4 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 8 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 9 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 10 Sidmouth undone by powerful St Austell performance
“The river was horrendous,” she recalled.
“I was really worried. I thought the dog [Rocky] was going to break its legs or have a heart attack.
“It was a bit of an adrenaline rush. I didn’t expect to hear anything back from it. It was nice to be thanked.”
Aubrey, who described Jessica’s actions as ‘extremely brave and selfless’, said: “It was lovely to talk to her. I am going to send her some photographs of Rocky.”