Dog rescued from Sidmouth fire and other news
- Credit: Getty Images
A dog was rescued from a Sidmouth house when a quick-thinking neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding and dialled 999. Read this and more.
PET RESCUE: A dog was rescued from a Sidmouth house when a quick-thinking neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding and dialled 999.
Firefighters freed the terrier from a Baker Close dwelling, which was heavily smoke-logged after a blaze involving a saucepan in the kitchen of the property.
Rescuers wore breathing apparatus and had to force their way into the home to put out the fire.
They said the cause of the blaze was accidental.
You may also want to watch:
The incident took place last Wednesday at around 4.30pm.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
GATE DAMAGE: Police have appealed for information after hinges and bolts on a wooden gate were damaged in Arcot Park, Sidmouth.
Officers say the offence took place some time between December and March. Call 101 with information, crime reference: KS/13/109.
SCIENCE CAFÉ: The next Cafe Scientifique in Sidmouth will be led by Emeritus Professor Elizabeth Hounsell from Birkbeck College, University of London, editor of Carbohydrate Research.
It is entitled “What type of person are you?” and will cover the topics of blood groups and how to distinguish individuals for tissue typing - for transplantation and also criminal identification.
Everyone is welcome at 3pm upstairs at Costa Coffee on Tuesday (March 19).