Donations pour in for Flood Relief Fund
The initiative, set up by East Devon District Council to help residents hit by flooding, has seen a special bank account created where people can cash to help needy householders.
DONATIONS have been pouring in to a Flood Relief Fund set up by East Devon District Council this week.
The initiative, set up to help residents hit by flooding, has seen a special bank account set up where people can cash to help needy householders.
West Hill Residents' Association has pledged £500 to the fund.
Association chair Anne White, said: "I was horrified when I awoke on Thursday morning to see the devastation. We are in a position to help and so we are helping."
You may also want to watch:
"We know of several families here in West Hill alone, who are looking at months of sharing someone else's house or renting, which must be awful, particularly at this time of year. And there are hundreds of people in that situation across the district - it is especially hard for elderly people or those with young families.
We hope that the money will quickly mount up and provide the necessary finance for repairs, enabling people to move back into their homes again, as soon as possible."
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
Councillor Sara Randall Johnson, Leader of EDDC and an Ottery Ward Member, said: "We are well aware of the devastation this has caused to the lives of some individuals and to the community as a whole. Ottregians are a robust bunch and we want to help them bounce back as quickly as possible from this disaster.
Details of how the fund will be managed, and who will be eligible to apply for Financial Assistance from the fund will be announced by EDDC next week.