Doors on display
WHILE most people like knowing what goes on behind closed doors, photographer Sarah Murphy is interested in the doors themselves.
Sarah, from Sevenoaks, Kent, has been visiting Sidmouth for 15 years and her gran lives in the town. Her latest project reveals the eclectic range of architecture to be found there. She said: “I have a very strong connection with Sidmouth. I have done many walks around it and love spending all the time I can there.”
The 29-year-old has been running her own photography studio in Sevenoaks for five years, having studied foundation art at Camberwell College of Arts and obtained a photography degree from Surrey Institute of Art and Design. Photographing the doors allowed her to combine three of her favourite things: architecture, photography and walking.
Sarah said: “Sidmouth doors are all shapes and sizes, some beautifully decorated and some in need of a lick of paint. They are all appealing in their own way and each has its own personality.”
Sarah knocked on all of the doors she photographed to ask permission from the owners. If they weren’t in she put a card through the letter box explaining what she was doing. One resulting print combines some prominent town houses with the beaten old gate on a country lane. Sarah said: “Doors that seem worlds apart are brought together in this one print.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as the large print, she has also created smaller prints with a single colour theme. These are on sale at Delderfields, Fore Street and The Lantern Shop, New Street. Sarah will also man a stall on the Esplanade Monday to Wednesday, August 2 -4. She said: “I would love everyone to come along and find their door.”
For more information visit www.sarahmurphy.co.uk or call 07970187229.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 8 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 9 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 10 Rail users can enjoy 'moor' views as Dartmoor Line reopens after 50 years
Two of Sarah’s prints are shown below.