Double delight for Sidmouth Guides
- Credit: Archant
THE 1st Sidmouth Guides has celebrated a double delight – including one youngster securing a rare accolade.
Lucy Beard, 14, landed the Baden-Powell Challenge Award, the highest honour a guide can achieve.
And that good news was complemented by the fact that assistant leader, Kate Hamilton, received a ‘Going Away’ certificate.
The Going Away scheme is a resource for all adults within guiding who have completed the leadership qualification and wish to be able to take their girls away on residential trips.
Kate has been working towards the qualification over the past year.
You may also want to watch:
She toasted the achievement by taking 20 1st and 2nd Sidmouth Guides to St Georges House in North Devon for the weekend of July 4 - 6.
Girls tackled several new challenges including surfing and abseiling.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 10 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
The weekend also saw Lucy presented with her Baden Powell certificate and badge, highlighting her commitment to guiding, and a celebration cake.
Lucy is the first in the district to have been handed the award for quite some time.
Girl Guiding is for girls aged from 10 – 14 and the group meets on Thursday evenings during term time. For more information email email@example.com, for Sidmouth, or firstname.lastname@example.org, for the Newton Poppleford.