Dream-A-Way gets �6k NatWest community award
Sidmouth community supports charity that provides outings for the disabled
AN East Devon charity has received a �6,000 NatWest CommunityForce Award.
Jeff Merrett, MBE, chairman of Exeter-based Dream-A-Way, which provides holidays and outings to local people of all ages that have disabilities, received the award this week.
Jeff, who is also manager of Sidmouth’s Stowford Rise Community Centre, said: “This is extremely generous of NatWest especially at this time.
“This money will be used towards the purchase of a replacement luxury caravan later this year.
“I was delighted that so many of our friends and supporters took their time to vote for Dream-A-Way. Our success is due to the fantastic support from the community. Thank you.”
Several years ago, three Sidmouth policemen completed a 50-mile cycle ride for the charity.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
NatWest launched CommunityForce last July, offering three groups in each of its 158 CommunityForce areas the chance to win �6,000 each, chosen last summer by an online public vote.
Meanwhile, regular Dream-A-Way supporter Gordon Maddock, author of the Fuzzy Memories books, has written a new book for six to eight-year-olds called Plink, Plonk and the Plankettes.
The story book with song, written in both English and Spanish, aims to help teach children music and language through song.
Gordon is donating all proceeds from sales of the book, which retails at �5, to Dream-A-Way.
It can be purchased through the Dream-A-Way website or by e-mailing email@example.com.