Driver confirmed dead in collision near Southleigh
- Credit: Archant
Police appeal for witnesses after crash
Police say a car and tractor were involved in the fatal crash at Broad Down in Southleigh at around 11.35am yesterday (Wednesday, January 14).
A force spokesperson said: “We can confirm that one male driver has died and enquiries are currently underway to locate the next of kin.”
Police are still at the scene and the road is expected to be closed for some time. Road closures have been put in place at Horse Shoes and Chelsdon Cross.
Fire crews from Sidmouth and Seaton attended the incident, as well as a heavy rescue vehicle from Middlemoor.
You may also want to watch:
A fire service spokesman said they received a call from police at 11.41am who said the car had gone undernearth the tractor, trapping the driver.
The spokesman added: “Shortly after arriving and assessing the scene with ambulance crews, further road traffic collision equipment was mobilised from our station at headquarters, as the male driver of the car was severely trapped.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
Any witnesses to the collision are asked to police on 101 quoting reference 290 of January 14.