Council launches e-book to help food go further during Covid-19 pandemic
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A new e-book has been launched by Devon County Council to help families’ food go further.
The ‘Have Your Food and Eat It” book, created by Recycle Devon, looks at ways to save families money and time, from smarter shopping to meal prepping for the week ahead.
It also provides a selection of recipes suited to using up ingredients in the fridge, or leftovers from previous meals.
A spokesman for Recycle Devon said: “In the UK, we throw away 6.7 million tonnes of food a year – that’s a third of the food we buy.
“Nearly half of that is fresh fruit and vegetables, bread, dairy, rice and pasta.
You may also want to watch:
“Research also shows that we throw away more food than we think we do.
“Some of the common reasons for throwing food away include buying too much in the first place, improper storage, not eating things in time and cooking too much – especially pasta and rice.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 10 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
For more information, visit www.recycledevon.org/blog/have-your-food-and-e