East Budleigh celebrates new shop opening
Villagers in East Budleigh will be celebrating next week, Saturday, October 11, at 11am, as their village shop is officially opened.
Villagers in East Budleigh will be celebrating next week, Saturday 11th October at 11am, as their village shop is officially opened.
The community has been without a local shop since Christmas 2005, but last year, with a wealth of public support, a project team was formed to re-establish one.
The £30,000 needed to set up the community shop, now located in the Village Hall car park, has come from Devon County Council, East Budleigh with Bicton Parish Council, the Otter Valley Association, Viscount Amory's Trust, the Norman Family Trust, and East Budleigh with Bicton Women's Institute.
Funds have also been raised from the local community through innovative membership and bond schemes.
You may also want to watch:
The new shop is managed by local resident Colin Weston, and run with the help of 40 volunteers from the village. They stock a wide range of fresh local produce, alongside the normal day to day necessities.
Linda Florey, Chairman of the Project Management team, said:
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
"Since we started last year to look again at establishing a village shop we have had such a great amount of local support. This is exactly what the local community needs, and with our membership scheme and bonds scheme, our shop is truly owned by the community and run by the community."
Devon County Council's funding comes from proceeds from the sale of Exeter International Airport, as part of their programme of re-investment to support local communities.
Devon County Councillor for Budleigh Salterton, Christine Channon, said:
"Devon County Council is very pleased to support this important venture. I am certain that, with the obvious support of its local community, the shop will be an enormous success."
Colin Weston, the shop's Manager said:
"Since appointed in August, what a fantastic time it has been, working with the team to set the shop up, and now working closely with the community to meet their needs."
The shop is open Monday to Fridays 8am to 7pm, and Saturdays 8am to 4pm, and Sundays 8am to 12pm.