Bellringers celebrate centenary in Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Bells will be pealing in Ottery St Mary on Saturday, October 12 to celebrate the centenary of the organisation responsible for ringing them.
It is 100 years since the East Devon branch of the Guild of Devonshire Ringers was founded.
Bellringers from across the district will join the celebrations, in which the bells of Ottery St Mary Parish Church will be ringing out from 2.30pm.
There will be a special service at 4pm, and afterwards the bellringers will assemble for a group photograph outside the church.
Judith Reynolds, from the East Devon branch of the bellringers' guild, said the group is keen to boost its numbers.
You may also want to watch:
Any lapsed ringers, and anyone else who would like to try it, can come along to the practice sessions on Mondays at 7.30pm.
"If you have never tried ringing but would like to learn, you will also be most welcome," she said.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
"Ringing is for everyone, from nine to 90, and is an excellent form of exercise."