East Devon MP’s expenses claim revealed
- Credit: Archant
The amount claimed in expenses by East Devon MP Sir Hugo Swire during the last financial year has been revealed.
Figures show that Sir Hugo claimed £164,381.75. This is the fifth highest amount out of the nine MPs who were sitting in Devon between April 2015 and March 2016.
The data has been published by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA).
Sir Hugo’s total was made up of £140,905.27 spent on staffing, £8,506.29 on accommodation, £8,013.09 s on travel, and £6,957.10 on office costs.
The MP declined to comment on the figures.
You may also want to watch:
IPSA’s data showed that the total amount of expenses claimed by all MPs was £113,664,857.55.
IPSA chief executive Marcial Boo said: “Members of Parliament do a demanding job that is important for our democracy.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 9 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 10 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
“IPSA helps them carry out their role, both in Westminster and in their constituencies, by paying their legitimate business costs within a strong regulatory framework.
“MPs’ business costs in 2015-16 were broadly the same as in the previous year.”