East Devon MP Sir Hugo Swire hopes budget will bring relief to Sidmouth businesses
- Credit: Archant
Tension is building in the town centre with more rumours of shops preparing to close.
Since the beginning of 2018 Carinas, Hospiscare, NatWest, New Look and Sweet Temptations have closed. Coles gift shop will close tomorrow (Saturday) and both The Rendezvous and Barclays will be closed before Christmas.
Pure Indulgence will leave the town for good in April along with Govier’s of Sidmouth which has been in the town for more than 100 years and is going online only.
The Herald has reported the plights facing businesses who have warned that if the government waits until next year to bring relief – helping with rising costs, rent and business rates – it will be too late.
East Devon MP Sir Hugo Swire said: “The news that more shops are closing i is not only a tragedy for the local high street, but also for those whose jobs are at risk. With the upcoming budget, I hope that the Chancellor will make an announcement on the issues surrounding business rates.
You may also want to watch:
“The next step is to see if anything is announced in the budget that will ease the pressure on small businesses in the High Street.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Set aside a wild patch in your garden - better to watch than the television!