Aspiring Sidmouth actor lands Nation Youth Theatre role
An up-and-coming teenage actor and singer from Sidmouth has been selected to appear in a national youth theatre production which may pave the way for the starry career he has always dreamed of.
Matthew Colson, 18, who will be studying musical theatre at university next year and hopes to tread the boards thereafter, was chosen for the National Youth Music Theatre anti-war play, According to Brian Haw.
The show tells the story of Mr Haw, the campaigner who camped outside the Houses of Parliament for 11 years in protest against the wars in Iraq and Afghanisatan.
Matthew was selected for the brand new show in February after a “tough” audition in Cardiff.
“He’s very excited and hopefully this could be the start of something big,” said his dad Marc.
You may also want to watch:
“His mother would be very proud.”
It was down to Matthew’s mother, who passed away in January, and who herself loved musicals, that Matthew first got involved in drama at an early age.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
The teenager’s selection for According to Brian Haw follows his successful appearances in Carousel, Oliver and the Sidmouth Youth Theatre’s production of Titanic.
If you would like to help sponsor his trip to Halifax, which will cost over �1000, and help him on his way to a theatrical career please contact Marc Colson on 07891643269 or email@example.com