Burst pipe floods Newton Poppleford pre-school
Leader appeals for toys and books after flood wrecks play equipment
A BURST water pipe has caused devastation to Newton Poppleford’s Rainbow Pre-School building.
Thawing snow and temperature change is believed to have caused the burst pipe that connected the loft’s water tank to the kitchen.
As the tank emptied it automatically re-filled, so that on Tuesday, when Laura Harding went in to clean before the start of the new term next week, she discovered three inches of water and part of the hall ceiling collapsed.
On Wednesday a team of staff and committee members were busy removing damaged carpets, toys, books and outdoor play equipment, which will all have to be replaced, so they could mop up the flood.
You may also want to watch:
It seems much of the ceiling will have to be replaced and insurance assessors have been contacted so that repairs can be started quickly.
Play leader Jane Simpson said: “It is just awful. I walked in last night (Tuesday) and felt sick. I didn’t sleep at all and I still feel sick.”
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 9 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 10 Property of the Week: Green Gables
She has launched an appeal for people to donate toys, books and other items for the pre-school so that the 24 three to five-year-olds will have some equipment to use in the New Year.
“We are making contact with the primary school to explain the position,” said Rob Selby, acting chairman of the pre-school committee, who hopes there might be a space there for the pre-school to operate from while repairs are carried out.
A toddler group also uses the 20-year-old building. Those helping to clear up included play assistants Mel Burns and Kelly Downs.
*Anyone with items for the children should contact Jane on (01395) 567711 or Rob on (01395) 568481.