Class of 1960 hold Bicton 50th reunion
Forty former Bicton students meet in Sidmouth 50 years on
IN 1960 they were students at Bicton College, now, 50 years on they are holding a reunion with their former tutor, who lives in Newton Poppleford.
John Brasier, 79, as guest of honour, will cut a celebratory cake, made by Marcia Mytton, at Bedford Hotel, Sidmouth, on Saturday, before enjoying dinner with the 40 67-year-olds he once taught animal husbandry and agricultural zoology to.
It was John who challenged them 10 years ago to hold a reunion to mark the Millennium and the group has continued to meet annually in November.
“They come from Brighton, Bude, and mostly Devon, Cornwall and Somerset, though some come from the North Country and abroad,” said John.
You may also want to watch:
One, Tom Pyne, runs a farm at East Budleigh.
“All went on to careers in agriculture, some left later but the majority went into farming,” said John.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
The reunion starts on Friday with a social evening and quiz, followed on Saturday with a chance to explore Sidmouth before the evening dinner. Some of the group will have lunch in Sidmouth before returning home.