Class of 1960 hold Bicton 50th reunion
Forty former Bicton students meet in Sidmouth 50 years on
IN 1960 they were students at Bicton College, now, 50 years on they are holding a reunion with their former tutor, who lives in Newton Poppleford.
John Brasier, 79, as guest of honour, will cut a celebratory cake, made by Marcia Mytton, at Bedford Hotel, Sidmouth, on Saturday, before enjoying dinner with the 40 67-year-olds he once taught animal husbandry and agricultural zoology to.
It was John who challenged them 10 years ago to hold a reunion to mark the Millennium and the group has continued to meet annually in November.
“They come from Brighton, Bude, and mostly Devon, Cornwall and Somerset, though some come from the North Country and abroad,” said John.
You may also want to watch:
One, Tom Pyne, runs a farm at East Budleigh.
“All went on to careers in agriculture, some left later but the majority went into farming,” said John.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
The reunion starts on Friday with a social evening and quiz, followed on Saturday with a chance to explore Sidmouth before the evening dinner. Some of the group will have lunch in Sidmouth before returning home.