Families invited to fun days
FAMILY days are the next step following a successful schools workshop in Sidmouth.
The sessions will run in Branscombe on Wednesday, August 25, Sidbury on Thursday, August 25 and Newton Poppleford on Tuesday, August 31, to give families a chance to meet up and get to know each other. There will be a range of activities, including sports and arts and crafts, and free refreshments.
Joel Smith, extended services co-ordinator for Sidmouth and Ottery learning communities, said: “We wanted to put something on in villages that don’t tend to have anything. The days are for families with children of primary school age; it’s an opportunity for parents and families to come together.”
The Pupils’ Voice day, held at Kennaway House, Coburg Road, saw children from Sidmouth, Sidbury, Branscombe and Newton Poppleford get involved with workshops called My School, My Local Area and My World.
In the first, they considered what they think it is important to learn about, and what is needed to help pupils feel valued and welcome at school. For the second, they highlighted activities that are valuable in the area, what is preventing youngsters from doing certain things, and ways of resolving this. In the world workshop, participants compared their lives with those of children around the world.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith said: “It went really well, the kids loved it. We wanted to make it a bit special, hence why we held it out of school.”
A similar event was held at Escot for pupils from primaries in the Ottery St Mary area – West Hill, Payhembury, Feniton, Tipton St John and Ottery – with help from students from the town’s King’s School.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses