Fifty enjoy drum workshop at Sidmouth church
Sidmouth’s Emmanuel Baptist Church rings to the sound of drumming
SOME 50 people, aged five to 50, have taken part in a Saturday drum workshop at Emmanuel Baptist Church, Sidmouth.
Brenda Lambert, who has played in a number of percussion bands and has a passion for teaching music, ran the event and has held workshops before.
She had drums from all over the world, including Africa and Brazil, at the church, and had quite a few for use in the workshop.
Mark Perkins from Emmanuel Baptist Church said: “Many various types of percussion instruments were also used, creating a loud and joyful noise.
You may also want to watch:
“Participants were encouraged to try all the many varied instruments, including the popular drums.
“In addition to teaching us various beats and rhythms on the instruments, Brenda had folks moving their bodies in various ways to the music.”
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
The workshop, which began with participants making their own instruments, was the idea of church member Maggi Lambert (no relation to Brenda), who wanted to have an event that could involve parents alongside their children.
With Brenda working with Maggi’s husband, the drumming workshop seemed ideal.
It is hoped another such afternoon will be run in the future.