Great lengths to open St John’s School pool to Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The owners of St John’s School are making their biggest single investment in the campus to improve its sports facilities – paving the way for improved access for the wider Sidmouth community.
International Education Systems (IES) is planning a ‘significant’ investment, expected to be a six-figure sum, to overhaul the existing swimming pool and install a telescopic enclosure so it can be used all-year-round.
The pool will not only be available for use by the school’s pupils – access will be given to residents through swimming lessons, gala events and, hopefully, as a lifeguard training venue and a place for water-based games, such as water polo.
Headmaster Mike Burgess said: “We are delighted that IES continues to invest significantly in St John’s.
“Covering the pool will make a huge difference to us and will also allow us to provide access for the local community to a fantastic facility. We look forward to welcoming lots of local children to St John’s to use this pool – either with the roof open in the Sidmouth sunshine or when the weather is less friendly!”
You may also want to watch:
As part of the programme to extend the use of its facilities to the community, St John’s is also opening up its tennis programme to local pupils. Coaching takes place on Fridays nights in term time.
IES has been investing in St John’s - its flagship of seven schools across the UK, Florida, South Africa and Hungary - since it took over in 2007, but this is the largest single investment in that time.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 4 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 5 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 9 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 10 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
Pupils will be able to register for tennis coaching from the start of the summer term by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.