Newton Pop youth club revived
Driving forces hope youngsters will have a say in how the resurrected group operates.
A YOUTH club in Newton Poppleford will reopen in September just months after it shut.
Organisers hope youngsters will have a say in how the resurrected group operates.
A trio of Wednesday ‘open house’ sessions, starting next week, will take place on July 6, 13 and 20 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm at the recently refurbished village pavilion in Back Lane.
The youth club will officially reopen on September 7 under the watchful eye of leaders Martin Street and his partner Jan.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteer pavilion manager David Zirker helped bring back the service after it ended in February.
“I was unhappy about that because I thought that if we, as a village, can’t run a youth club, what chance have we got?
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 The more we work together the better it will be
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
“If we don’t watch it we’ll end up another retirement village in East Devon.
“We envisage running two sessions each week in September, with the younger group of say ten to 13 years operating from 6.30pm to 8pm and the over 13’s from 8pm to 9.30pm.
“This Youth Club will be responsible for its own programme, opening times and general running- together with (youth leaders) Martin and Jan.
“This is a great opportunity for the young people of Newton Poppleford to have their say in the way their youth club operates.”
He urged young people and residents to attend and share their thoughts and the club would appoint a youth council.
Youth from all the villages around Newton Pop, including Colaton Raleigh, will be welcome.
Volunteers are also being sought.
Contact David on (01395) 567430 for more information.