Newton Pop youth club revived
Driving forces hope youngsters will have a say in how the resurrected group operates.
A YOUTH club in Newton Poppleford will reopen in September just months after it shut.
Organisers hope youngsters will have a say in how the resurrected group operates.
A trio of Wednesday ‘open house’ sessions, starting next week, will take place on July 6, 13 and 20 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm at the recently refurbished village pavilion in Back Lane.
The youth club will officially reopen on September 7 under the watchful eye of leaders Martin Street and his partner Jan.
Volunteer pavilion manager David Zirker helped bring back the service after it ended in February.
“I was unhappy about that because I thought that if we, as a village, can’t run a youth club, what chance have we got?
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 3 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 4 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 5 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 6 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 7 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 8 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
- 9 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 10 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
“If we don’t watch it we’ll end up another retirement village in East Devon.
“We envisage running two sessions each week in September, with the younger group of say ten to 13 years operating from 6.30pm to 8pm and the over 13’s from 8pm to 9.30pm.
“This Youth Club will be responsible for its own programme, opening times and general running- together with (youth leaders) Martin and Jan.
“This is a great opportunity for the young people of Newton Poppleford to have their say in the way their youth club operates.”
He urged young people and residents to attend and share their thoughts and the club would appoint a youth council.
Youth from all the villages around Newton Pop, including Colaton Raleigh, will be welcome.
Volunteers are also being sought.
Contact David on (01395) 567430 for more information.