Ottery ceremony rewards good scouting
The Ottery St Mary Scout Group held its annual awards night to honour the work of the town’s young people.
More than 100 guests attended the evening to see a variety of video presentations featuring pictures of the young people in a review of the last 12 months, most of which drew a few laughs from the crowd.
Amongst the guests to see how the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers have been getting on were those who had helped the group over the past year, such as Reverend Simon Franklin, local councillor Roger Giles, Pixie Day organiser Catriona Paton and Peter Bennett from the Otter Vale Rotary Club.
Andy Ellis, the assistant county commissioner for Explorer Scouts, was on hand to give out presentations to some of the young people in recognition for their achievements in scouting.
These included Joe Carr and Alex Lavallin, both 16, who were awarded their Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award, and Will Salmon, 17, and Jake Rosen, 16, who were awarded their ‘Young Leader Belt Buckle’.
You may also want to watch:
Andy said Will and Jake were in a very prestigious group, as only four people in the whole of Devon had ever been awarded the Young Leader Belt Buckle.
John Green, group scout leader said although the night was an opportunity to showcase the best of what scouting can offer, it wouldn’t be possible without the small dedicated group of adults who help each week to provide a challenging range of activities for more than 100 young people.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
He added they were always looking for more help, and anyone interested should contact John on 01404 812836.