Poet Laureate comes to Ottery
The King’s School thought they had better pull out all the stops in a bid to celebrate National Poetry Month.
And what better way than to invite the Poet Laureate herself Carol Ann Duffy to speak to pupils last week.
She performed her poetry with musician John Sampson to upper school classes as part of an exciting project at the Ottery school, celebrating the written word.
Carol Ann Duffy also visited English classes to speak with students of all ages and had a book signing during lunchtime on her visit last Thursday.
The project, which has been set up by the school’s library with funding from the PTFA, has also included a series of poetry related events and activities, including an art exhibition and school poetry competition inspired by the Poet Laureate‘s work.
You may also want to watch:
Debra Hanson, one of the school librarians, said the aim of the project is to encourage young people to appreciate how their ideas, feelings and opinions can be powerfully expressed and communicated using words.
Both Debra and Annie James, another librarian, are keen to foster enthusiasm for the written word.
- 1 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 4 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 9 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
Debra added: “The aim is to harness, utilise and build on the excitement generated by having the Poet Laureate in our school interacting with and influencing students.
“We believe this project will be inspirational and will leave an indelible impression on students of the power of words.”
The appearance of Carol Ann Duffy at The King’s School for National Poetry Month comes hot on the heels of hugely successful author Darren Shan’s visit to speak to pupils.
The prolific writer of children’s fantasy fiction spoke to lower school students and signed books as part of National Book Week earlier this month.