Scouts take on 4-day challenge at Bicton
Explorers and Scouts from Ottery joined a group of 800 from across Devon for an activity adventure break to Bicton College.
The annual event, known as ‘Run 2 the Fun’, started in Torbay in 2009 and is for the older members of the scouting fraternity, and sees the boys, along with their leaders, spend four days taking on a range of challenges.
John Green, Explorer Leader, said: “We took a group of 35 young people from Ottery who were occupied from the moment they arrived. Everything from dragon boat racing, kayaking and raft building on the lake to a multitude of inflatable challenges.”
The boys took on an assault course, a bucking bronco, went surfing, raced bumper and traversed a Crystal Maze amongst other activities.
One Ottery Explorer, Sam, aged 14, added: “The best thing about the camp was we could stay up to 1am as there were plenty of things to do. And it was great to meet new people and make friends.”
On the final day there was a bush tucker trial, pictured, where the young people and leaders were chosen at random to come on stage and endure a challenge, which involved eating live bugs and insects.
And this isn’t the last of the adventures for the Ottery Explorers and Scouts, many of whom are off for a nine day adventure in Holland at the end of July.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 8 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
The holiday is expected to be the highlight of the year for the boys involved. To get involved in Scouting in Ottery contact John Green on 01404 812836 or email email@example.com.