Sidmouth College student enjoys Herald placement
Year 10 Sidmouth College students make most of work placements and gain awards
KEEN to learn all about journalism as a career, Sidmouth College student Naomi Clarke joined the Sidmouth Herald team recently for a seven-day work experience placement.
Year 10 students undertook a range of tasks at their placements, from changing tyres, working in engineering firms, veterinary surgeries and at police headquarters.
Teacher Nicki Young had the pleasurable task of visiting them in situ and said: “It has been a real pleasure to have the opportunity to visit them and see how well they were doing.
“It was clear they were adaptable, conscientious and, in many respects, prepared for the world of work.
You may also want to watch:
“Although there were some challenges – ‘I never realised there would be so much maths involved...’ - pupils seemed to be enjoying themselves and making the most of this opportunity.
“We are very grateful to the many local businesses who support the students by offering placements.”
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
Each year the college makes awards to students who have demonstrated they have seized the opportunities presented through work experience and learned from them.
Principal Jeremy Roberts said: “I have had the privilege of visiting the follow-up sessions for our Year 10 students…As usual, I have been gratified by the messages of appreciation from employers and amazed by the range of placements that our students negotiated.”
• Awards go to 10C: Olivia Brown, individual, Sophie Glanville, Louise Lee, Victoria Mesher and Jess Morgan, group award; 10LM: Erica Towers, individual, Ryan Vann and Rhianne Callun group; 10AJT: Natalie Bagwell, individual, Vanessa Harris and Evie McShane, group; 10TH: Rachel Blythe, individual, Ellie Stone, group; 10JK Jack Faulkner, individual, Will Sanders and Amy Hunt, Mabel Cornwell and Ben Powell group.