Sidmouth College success in speaking contest
Year Nine Sidmouth students in Rotary Speaks district final
A TEAM of Year Nine students from Sidmouth College has won Devon Eastern Area Final of a public speaking contest.
Held at Exmouth Community College last month, Matthew Ogley, Safeen Kay and Lauren French, all aged 14, (pictured), will go through to the district final in Okehampton this month.
The objective of the Rotary Speaks competition is to give students experience of speaking on a public platform and encourage them to formulate ideas on specific topics.
Matthew spoke confidently about the impact of modern technology on our lives, having written the six-minute speech himself.
You may also want to watch:
Safeen the team’s chairman, gave a cheerful introduction, which set the mood for the rest of the performance, while Lauren proposed a vote of thanks.
Two Year Seven teams represented the school and gave a good performance.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of