Sidmouth College success in speaking contest
Year Nine Sidmouth students in Rotary Speaks district final
A TEAM of Year Nine students from Sidmouth College has won Devon Eastern Area Final of a public speaking contest.
Held at Exmouth Community College last month, Matthew Ogley, Safeen Kay and Lauren French, all aged 14, (pictured), will go through to the district final in Okehampton this month.
The objective of the Rotary Speaks competition is to give students experience of speaking on a public platform and encourage them to formulate ideas on specific topics.
Matthew spoke confidently about the impact of modern technology on our lives, having written the six-minute speech himself.
You may also want to watch:
Safeen the team’s chairman, gave a cheerful introduction, which set the mood for the rest of the performance, while Lauren proposed a vote of thanks.
Two Year Seven teams represented the school and gave a good performance.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 3 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police