Sidmouth students take on Ten Tors Challenge
Two teams from Sidmouth College among Ten Tors challengers at weekend
TWO teams from Sidmouth College set off today (Friday) for the Ten Tors Challenge 2011.
Pictured, the teams have been training hard on Dartmoor for the weekend challenge to tackle either 35, 45 or 55 miles of rugged Tor terrain with students from other schools and colleges.
Sports teacher Ben Williams has, for the first time, been heading training for the 19 Sidmouth students and two reserves going, receiving help from former teacher Roger White, who led the training at the college for 20 years, as well as other staff, governors and parent helpers.
He said: “This year we have had around 75 pupils participate within some aspect of the training, which started last October.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been a particularly hard year to select the teams as there have been so many committed pupils and the quality of the pupils’ navigation, leadership and teamwork has been of such a high standard.”
Those up for the gruelling challenge have completed seven training walks, including an overnight stay and two-day walk on Dartmoor and three-day trek on Exmoor.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Two Year 12 students, Tom Adkin and Andy Green will tackle the 55-mile challenge and Year 11 students Jess Hoar, Jack Sowden, Tom Sinclair, Chris Aplin and Will Oswald, will take on the 45-mile walk.
The rest, Hannah Domhof, Will Amos, Emily Woodruff, Joe Hill, Sam Gosling, Erica Towers, Finn Dinham-Price, Felix Langley, Elliot Badcock, Alex Turner, Sam Turner and Alice Barrett, will do the 35-mile challenge.
Reserves are Adam Amin and George Plant.