Sidmouth students take on Ten Tors Challenge
Two teams from Sidmouth College among Ten Tors challengers at weekend
TWO teams from Sidmouth College set off today (Friday) for the Ten Tors Challenge 2011.
Pictured, the teams have been training hard on Dartmoor for the weekend challenge to tackle either 35, 45 or 55 miles of rugged Tor terrain with students from other schools and colleges.
Sports teacher Ben Williams has, for the first time, been heading training for the 19 Sidmouth students and two reserves going, receiving help from former teacher Roger White, who led the training at the college for 20 years, as well as other staff, governors and parent helpers.
He said: “This year we have had around 75 pupils participate within some aspect of the training, which started last October.
“It has been a particularly hard year to select the teams as there have been so many committed pupils and the quality of the pupils’ navigation, leadership and teamwork has been of such a high standard.”
Those up for the gruelling challenge have completed seven training walks, including an overnight stay and two-day walk on Dartmoor and three-day trek on Exmoor.
- 1 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 2 Ottery resident honoured by Spanish principality
- 3 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 4 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 5 'Small farmers' livelihoods face collapse, post-Brexit'
- 6 DCC survey shows the condition of Devon's roads has improved
- 7 Tell us a Story
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 9 Book your space in the Ottery Tent at 2022 Food and Families Festival
- 10 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
Two Year 12 students, Tom Adkin and Andy Green will tackle the 55-mile challenge and Year 11 students Jess Hoar, Jack Sowden, Tom Sinclair, Chris Aplin and Will Oswald, will take on the 45-mile walk.
The rest, Hannah Domhof, Will Amos, Emily Woodruff, Joe Hill, Sam Gosling, Erica Towers, Finn Dinham-Price, Felix Langley, Elliot Badcock, Alex Turner, Sam Turner and Alice Barrett, will do the 35-mile challenge.
Reserves are Adam Amin and George Plant.