Succesful first foray into Ten Tors for Ottery Explorers
Scouts from Ottery and Tipton were part of a 12-strong team from East Devon Explorer Scouts to take on the Ten Tors for the first time.
The scout group entered two groups, one in the 35 mile and one in the 45 mile challenge, into the gruelling Dartmoor event.
The dozen scouts were chosen after many months of training, with help from volunteers who gave up their time to get them into shape for the challenge a fortnight ago.
This year was the first time the group had got places for its youngsters on the Ten Tors, as assistant team Manager Chris Evans explained: “It has been a rollercoaster for us, we thought we had secured a place in 2010 but hopes were dashed at the last moment. But seeing our two teams crossing the finish line on Sunday made all the hard work well worth while.”
Entering teams is an expensive business, and the group have been surviving on a very tight budget, receiving small donations from Honiton Round Table, and The Richard Marker Trust.
You may also want to watch:
Otter Windows also offered the group the use of their minibus on a number of occasions.
The group hope to enter teams next year, including one for the 55 mile challenge, however, they are looking for donations to help cover the cost of equipment and transport for 2012. If you can help please contact Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 5 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 6 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 9 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 10 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season