Youths get reward for taking on extra responsibilities
Senior members of the Sidmouth Youth Centre were presented with certificates for their new qualification in youth work.
Last October half-term a dozen of the youths went on a week-long course at Pixies Holt on Dartmoor to learn new skills as senior members at the Youth Centre.
Mark Gerry, an area youth worker, said he was proud of his young charges, who learnt about listening, empathy, and about building relationships with the younger members and taking on new responsibilities.
But he said when they had to design their perfect youth club, they all came up with the same answer: “Whenever we do this exercise they all always go for a swimming pool!”
They were presented with the certificates for completing the Senior Members Course run by Devon Youth Service, part of the highly respected Open College Network system of qualifications.
You may also want to watch:
Six of the youths were from Sidmouth; Bree Morris, Alfie Weaver, Gary Dixon, Alistair Hawthorn, Georgia Gardner, and Chloe Ives, and a further three were from Ottery; Rachel Beaney, Hannah Jandu, and Sam Murdoch.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98