Elsie is ‘just lucky’
- Credit: Archant
A former naval servicewoman puts her survival to the grand old age of 100 to “just good luck”.
Elsie Steele joined the WRNS at HMS St Vincent on the day war was declared in September 1939.
She was “well and truly bombed” while based at Gosport in Hampshire.
After that, she was deployed to Africa.
Mrs Steele celebrated her birthday with friends, family and fellow members of the Methodist church at Radway Lodge, where she lives.
You may also want to watch:
The centenarian was also visited by the chairman of the HMS St Vincent Association.
She has lived in Sidmouth for some time, but is originally from Portsmouth.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 After shopping in town why not give your feet a treat