Elsie is ‘just lucky’
- Credit: Archant
A former naval servicewoman puts her survival to the grand old age of 100 to “just good luck”.
Elsie Steele joined the WRNS at HMS St Vincent on the day war was declared in September 1939.
She was “well and truly bombed” while based at Gosport in Hampshire.
After that, she was deployed to Africa.
Mrs Steele celebrated her birthday with friends, family and fellow members of the Methodist church at Radway Lodge, where she lives.
You may also want to watch:
The centenarian was also visited by the chairman of the HMS St Vincent Association.
She has lived in Sidmouth for some time, but is originally from Portsmouth.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon