Emily sets her sights on four stars next season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth horse woman Emily King is celebrating the end of a turbulent season as she clinches the top female title.
Emily, 18, the daughter of Olympic silver medallist Mary King, finished the horse trials season as the highest ranking female in the under-21s category, coming in third overall.
This was her first year competing at three-star level and now the sportswoman has her sights set on the top competitions.
“It has been probably my most up and down year so far,” said Emily.
“It is the first time I have had big falls related to the jumps on the course.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been quite tough. I have experienced the highs and lows but, when you get out and get competing again, you soon get back in the right frame of mind.”
Her grandmother, Jill Thompson, of Sidmouth, said: “I am very proud. She has had a very good year again this year. She has had two big tumbles, but she has bounced back.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
While her horses enjoy a well-earned break, Emily is planning to use the time to hone her skills, training with a top show jumper.
“I will be able to compete at four-star level next year. It takes a lot to get qualified for those events so I will be hoping to complete a few more three-stars and then qualify for the four-star events,” said Emily.
She thanked the owner of her top horse, Brookleigh, Parone Cjaval, as well as her main sponsors, Mitsubishi and Joules.
“I am really lucky to have such a great team of owners and sponsors. I would not have been able to do it without them,” she said.