Empowering girls group launched by Sidmouth Youth Centre
- Credit: Archant
An ‘empowering girls’ group has been launched by Sidmouth Youth Centre.
Youth Work Coordinator Ben Feasey said they noticed a drop in the number of girls attending the club.
After consulting the youngsters they discovered the girls felt they were always going ahead with what the boys wanted, while their voices felt drowned out.
He added: “With things like #metoo and other campaigns around women’s empowerment and voice present we decided to host a girl only night. After some discussion the girls told us about what they wanted to get out of it.”
The centre is now half way through a four week programme which delivers sessions around healthy relationships, friendships, the meaning of consent, body image and confidence.
You may also want to watch:
Parents and youngsters have been invited to complete survey to shape the centres’ strategic plan for 2018/19.
Visit surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P63LGYN for more.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98