England call for Sidford teen Dom
- Credit: Archant
A Sidford teenager could earn his first international cricket cap next week after being called up to play for England’s under-19s.
Dominic Bess, known as Dom, feels ‘massively privileged’ to be part of the 13-man squad to play Sri Lanka under-19s in a series of one-day matches.
Dom, 19, started his career at Sidmouth Cricket Club at the age of seven, joining dad Russell, uncle Graham and three cousins, Luke, Josh and Zack, on the teamsheet.
“My role models were my cousins,” said Dom. “When I was young, I would look up to them. The club played a massive role and my family would be around. I would be there Friday night training, playing on a Saturday.”
Aged 15, Dominic was invited to join Somerset Cricket Club’s academy for two years - an intensive programme which tested him physically and mentally. Last month, he made his first-class debut for Somerset playing against Pakistan.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a massive honour and a privilege to walk out onto the ground with players that you have grown up watching, like Marcus Trescothick. It’s really surreal,” said Dom.
His progress has been noted by national under-19s selectors, who have called him up to the squad for games on August 10, 13 and 16.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Dom said: “I wasn’t really concentrating on England under-19s. I was focusing on trying to make the Somerset side and it has gone too well and I have been picked for my first world-class debut.
“I’m massively privileged to be playing for the under-19s and to get the call-up.”
Dominic also plays for Exeter Cricket Club and the Devon Men’s first team.
Cousin Luke, first-team captain for Sidmouth, said: “We are really proud of him.”