Escot reg is among top UK gamekeepers
AN ESCOT man has been named among the country s best gamekeepers.
AN ESCOT man has been named among the country's best gamekeepers.
Escot estate tenant and farmer, turned -gamekeeper, Reg Hawkins notched a 'highly commended' third place in the 2009 Farmers Weekly/CLA Game Fair Gamekeeper of the Year Award last week.
Reg, who grew up on the Escot estate after his father was tenant farmer there, spent the last year taking on wild boar, beavers, water voles, music festival revellers, and thousands of visitors at the attraction.
"Reg's attitude to livestock and wildlife is first class, he cares for his surroundings and is a true champion of the countryside," said Escot owner John-Michael Kennaway.
You may also want to watch:
Now a successful gamekeeper, Reg hasn't totally given up on farming and still keeps animals. He said: "My wife calls it play-farming.
- 1 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 2 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 3 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 7 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 8 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 9 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 10 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek