Escot reg is among top UK gamekeepers
AN ESCOT man has been named among the country s best gamekeepers.
AN ESCOT man has been named among the country's best gamekeepers.
Escot estate tenant and farmer, turned -gamekeeper, Reg Hawkins notched a 'highly commended' third place in the 2009 Farmers Weekly/CLA Game Fair Gamekeeper of the Year Award last week.
Reg, who grew up on the Escot estate after his father was tenant farmer there, spent the last year taking on wild boar, beavers, water voles, music festival revellers, and thousands of visitors at the attraction.
"Reg's attitude to livestock and wildlife is first class, he cares for his surroundings and is a true champion of the countryside," said Escot owner John-Michael Kennaway.
You may also want to watch:
Now a successful gamekeeper, Reg hasn't totally given up on farming and still keeps animals. He said: "My wife calls it play-farming.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman