Exmouth radio station given green light to come to Sidmouth
- Credit: Picture: ExmouthAiR Radio
ExmouthAiR Radio has been granted permission to extend its service on 95FM to listeners across the Sid Valley.
After four years of planning, the industry regulators Ofcom have granted the station permission for the extension.
ExmouthAiR Radio originally launched as Bay FM in 2006 by founders Andy Green and his wife Julie.
Mr Green, who is also the station manager, said: “The FM licence for Exmouth took seven years to get.
“The station launched on March 29, 2013 and it’s gone from strength to strength rebranding in June 2018 as ExmouthAiR Radio.
You may also want to watch:
“The rebrand was to give the station a stronger local identity and eliminate confusion with ties to Torbay.”
Last year the station was given a 200 per cent signal boost by regulators Ofcom to improve coverage and now welcomes the extension. The station has also just finished building its second studio.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 7 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Mr Green added: “Our plans have always been to extend our service across the Sid Valley, but it went on hold in November 2017.
“An online station had launched in the area with plans to apply for an FM licence, but they missed the only opportunity to do so in June 2018, so our plans went ahead.”
In January 2017 we received a lot of support from the Sid Valley community including the former MP Sir Hugo Swire and the current East Devon chairmen Cllr Stuart Hughes.
Mr Green said: “We also received letters of support from residents of the Sid Valley who regularly listen to us online and they welcomed the opportunity to receive us on FM in the area too.
“And there’s no big mast being erected to do this either, just a small low-powered aerial on an existing building.
“It’s a very difficult time for many people with this Covid-19 and many people around Exmouth have found us a great comfort which we are looking forward to extending on 95FM across the Sid Valley soon.”