Explore our interactive map of food hygiene ratings across East Devon
- Credit: Archant
Scroll down to see our interactive map and table of more than 1,000 food hygiene ratings across East Devon.
Three businesses received a zero-star rating, 21 were awarded just one star and 20 got a two-star rating.
Some 142 businesses – which includes everything from restaurants and takeaways to catering vans and care homes – received a three-star food hygiene rating after being visited by East Devon District Council officers.
Across East Devon, 245 food providers scored four stars, while the vast majority, 662 businesses, were awarded the top, five-star classification.
The ratings system has an appeals process that businesses to request a re-visit when improvements have been made if they receive a poor score.
New ratings are pending on many of those in East Devon.
According to the Food Standards Agency: “The food safety officer inspecting the business checks how well the business is meeting the law by looking at:
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 7 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 8 Property of the Week: Livonia Road
- 9 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 10 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
• how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
• the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
• how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe
“At the end of the inspection, the business is given a rating. Scoring a ‘five’ means that the business was found to have ‘very good’ hygiene standards.
“Any business should be able to reach this top rating.”
Explore our interactive map the table to see how your favourite places to eat performed.