Family’s memorial to father at Beer youth hostel
- Credit: Archant
A daughter has fulfilled one of her father’s last wishes and donated scenic seat to Beer Youth Hostel Association (YHA).
Elaine Remnant-Ashton had a bench installed to remember Peter Hoar, a keen traveller who often stayed in youth hostels.
She doesn’t know if he ever visited the village from Bridport, but knew he would appreciate its beauty.
Elaine said: “We are really pleased to get the bench; it’s in a lovely position.”
She often visited Beer with her husband and son on their way to Cornwall, but said now their trips will have an added poignancy.
Mike Ruiter, the former manager of Beer YHA, said: “Our charity has been enhancing the lives of young people for over 80 years and continues to do so thanks to generous donations by people like the Hoars.
“We are very thankful for their kindness.”
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Hospice at Home moves into new premises
- 3 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 4 Retailers need to be on high alert against new scam
- 5 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 6 Property of the Week: Heaven's Gate, Ottery St Mary
- 7 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Great to see the sunshine as Folk Festival returned
- 10 Sidmouth seniors avoid whitewash, Legg leads way on Friday
Peter, who travelled the world with the merchant navy, died on December 13, 2011, at the age of 80.