Family’s memorial to father at Beer youth hostel
- Credit: Archant
A daughter has fulfilled one of her father’s last wishes and donated scenic seat to Beer Youth Hostel Association (YHA).
Elaine Remnant-Ashton had a bench installed to remember Peter Hoar, a keen traveller who often stayed in youth hostels.
She doesn’t know if he ever visited the village from Bridport, but knew he would appreciate its beauty.
Elaine said: “We are really pleased to get the bench; it’s in a lovely position.”
She often visited Beer with her husband and son on their way to Cornwall, but said now their trips will have an added poignancy.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Ruiter, the former manager of Beer YHA, said: “Our charity has been enhancing the lives of young people for over 80 years and continues to do so thanks to generous donations by people like the Hoars.
“We are very thankful for their kindness.”
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 9 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 10 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
Peter, who travelled the world with the merchant navy, died on December 13, 2011, at the age of 80.