Family’s pride as Ottery business named the UK’s top DIY shop
- Credit: Archant
Abbott’s beat hundreds of competitors to scoop national award
It was a proud and poignant moment for owners of a family-run Ottery business who scooped the UK Hardware Retailer of the Year Award.
Abbott’s, of Jesu Street, beat hundreds of competitors to gain the national industry accolade. It was praised for exceptional customer service, ideas, imagination and passion.
The business – which also has a shop in Seaton – was founded by late Ottregian Tony Abbott and last received the top DIY industry award in 2011 - just months before he was taken ill.
Abbott’s is owned and run by Tony’s wife Viv, along with their two sons, Chris and Jeff, who all turned out to collect the award at a ceremony last week.
You may also want to watch:
Viv said: “We are absolutely delighted to win this award - when you think of how many independent DIY and hardware stores there are across the UK, to win this is a fantastic achievement.
“We are very proud, but really it’s a big-thank-you to all of our customers - without their support we could not have achieved this.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
“When they showed a short video of the other hardware stores in the running for the award, I thought we down here in Devon wouldn’t have a chance of winning, but when they announced us as the winner, I just could not believe it.”
The family has received an outpouring of support from the community since winning the national recognition.
Chris said: “We have been overwhelmed by the support from our customers and the local community as a whole. We just can not thank people enough for their kind words and support.”
Jeff added his delight and said the national award helps to put Ottery and Seaton on the map.
The judging panel comprised of suppliers and leading hardware industry figures who praised the ‘fantastic product ranges, knowledgeable staff, good value for money and well laid-out stores’.
Judges said: “[There was] lots of improvements in the last two years with lots of imaginative marketing, lots of investment, lots of ideas, lots of passion – the Abbott’s team have it all.”