Fancy a kickabout?
- Credit: Getty Images/Brand X
A sporting Sidmothian is helping to revive a football tournament he looks back on as ‘our Wembley’ when he was a boy.
Andy Welch said he lamented the fact that Sidford fete no longer features a five-a-side contest and is leading an effort to bring it back.
The committee is now appealing for teams, volunteers and sponsors to come forward as they crack on with planning for the event - in just two weeks.
It is set to take place at the Sidford football pitches on Sunday, May 18.
“When we were little it was a major part of the year – it was like our Wembley,” said the 42-year-old. “I played 30 years ago, but then it seems to have ground to a halt. I think it would be brilliant to bring this back to allow the children and parents to enjoy it as much we did.”
You may also want to watch:
The Ladymead resident had started reminiscing after his parents pulled out a team photo, but he said the tournament had been largely forgotten.
Many of his old teammates are still involved in football, and some even have sons of their own who could take part, so Andy knew there would be demand for it..
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 10 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
“If you have 30 or 40 kids you’ll have 30 or 40 parents to watch, and that’s got to be good for the fete,” added the financial advisor.
“I don’t want to make it too big. It should be as fun as possible.”
Parents, teachers and coaches are invited to enter teams of under-10s and under-13s – who will be in with the chance of collecting their prize from former England and Arsenal footballer Steve Williams.
Volunteer referees, sponsors and anyone who knows a sports star are also asked to get in touch with Andy on 07989 514238 or 01395 489055.