Fans of BBC’s Stargazing Live can look to Sidmouth site
- Credit: Picture: www.northeastwildlife.co.uk
The popular BBC Stargazing Live series has inspired people across the UK to spend an evening gazing at the night sky – and there is a perfect spot for the activity in Sidmouth.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) is proud to offer its own designated ‘Dark Sky Discovery Site’ - Knapp Copse near Putts Corner – as an officially recognised, fantastic place to discover.
Steve Edmonds, EDDC Countryside Team leader, said: “TV programmes such as Stargazing Live are a great way to introduce members of the public to the wonders available on their doorstep.
“In East Devon, we are lucky to have local nature reserve sites such as Knapp Copse, which has little light pollution and is a wonderful place to take in the most breathtaking view of the night sky. Over the summer months, visiting these sites at night might also yield views and sounds of bats, nightjars and owls, too.”
The Countryside Team is currently putting together its spring/summer events guide, which will include stargazing and night walk events. The guide will be available from mid-March.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone interested in finding out more can visit eastdevon.gov.uk/countryside/countryside-sites/
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time