‘Fantastic’ Millie raises £1,200 for carnival and barrels
- Credit: Archant
Ottery Carnival organisers have praised a 10-year-old girl for raising £1,200 for her favourite town traditions.
Millie Gething completed 100 lengths of Honiton’s pool in an hour - equivalent in distance to swimming between Ottery and West Hill.
The carnival princess-in-waiting came up with the idea because she wanted to raise money for the carnival and Tar Barrels. Working with her swimming coach, she trained hard to finish each length in 36 seconds or less.
Millie’s mum Katie said: “I am so proud of her, she did really well. It’s all very well swimming, but to continue to do it for an hour; she was continuously doing front crawl and did not stop. At 10 years old, to take that on herself, she just wanted to raise the money for something she loves.
“We really want to thank everyone. What they have sponsored has been overwhelming - it has been incredible and that’s been through the community spirit and the love of the carnival and Tar Barrels.”
You may also want to watch:
Millie, who attends Ottery Primary School, was cheered on by her family and Steve Pearcy, secretary of the carnival committee.
Steve said her contribution will go ‘a very long way’ to cover the costs of both events, adding: “She did a fantastic job. She is just like a fish - going up and down the pool with no problem at all. To do what she did and put in all that effort, we are so proud and grateful for the money she has raised.”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Millie is pictured with her little brother Ryley, eight.