Farmer find cannabis growing in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth farmer tipped off police when he stumbled on a secret stash of cannabis being cultivated near his land.
Officers were called to Milltown Lane in Fortescue to find the 10 plants growing in a man-made clearing on an overgrown footpath.
The farmer found the illicit allotment when cutting back the hedges, which meant that the police were unable to track the growers.
PC Dave Wallace, who was one of the officers who attended the scene, said: “It looked like they hadn’t been touched in a week – with the hedge gone it wasn’t clear where they had been coming from.”
He added that there had been a search for other plants but nothing was found, but he was surprised to see something so close to the town.
You may also want to watch:
Last time drugs were found growing they were in a more rural area on private land in Sidbury.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop